Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Basil
These sandwiches were cooked on a grill, but a skillet would work just as well. Choose your favorite kind of cheese. We prefer a variety that melts easily, such as Gouda or Swiss, but cheddar is also good.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2001
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 slices white bread
- 12 ounces Gouda or Swiss cheese
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Arrange 4 slices, buttered side down, on clean work surface. Divide cheese evenly among 4 slices of bread. Arrange tomato slices over cheese, cutting slices in half to fit if necessary. Scatter basil leaves over tomatoes. Top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Place sandwiches on a medium-hot grill, off direct heat. Cook until bread is golden and cheese is beginning to melt, about 4 minutes depending on heat of grill.
- Turn sandwiches over, and continue grilling until bread is golden and cheese is completely melted. Move to a slightly cooler part of the grill to melt if bread is darkening too much.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.