This recipe for caramel frosting, which goes with Dr. Maya Angelou's caramel cake, can be found in her new cookbook, "Hallelujah."
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
Yield Makes enough for one 8-inch cake
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 package (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind; let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt, and butter. With the mixer on low, slowly add cream; beat until smooth. If frosting seems too thick, stir another tablespoon cream into the mixture.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.