Caramelized Onion Tart with Olives
Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 60 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup oil-cured small black olives, pitted and halved lengthwise
- 4 to 6 anchovy fillets (optional), rinsed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter with oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and thyme, and cook until onions are golden and soft, about 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry, and trim to an 8 1/2-by-15-inch rectangle. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, transfer to oven, and immediately reduce oven to 400. Bake until pastry begins to rise, about 12 minutes.
- Arrange onions in a single layer over pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Top with olives and anchovies if using. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 375 degrees, and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15 minutes more (tent with foil if crust browns too quickly). Cut into squares.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.