Garam masala, a blend of dry-roasted spices, can be found in the international section of most large supermarkets.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 small onions, finely diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add cumin seeds, and cook until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add onions, and cook until they begin to brown. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, jalapeno, garam masala, and salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.