Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
Memories of childhood birthday cakes will be evoked by this sweet frosting, made quickly with just three ingredients and a handheld mixer (a standing mixer will take even less time). This frosting can also be tinted with food color; add a drop at a time and stir with a flexible spatula until well combined before adding more.This recipe is from "Martha Stewart's Cupcakes."
Martha Stewart Living Special Issues, 2009
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed; after every two additions, raise speed to high and beat 10 seconds to aerate frosting, then return to medium-high. This process should take about 5 minutes. Frosting will be very pale and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, and beat until frosting is smooth. If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 10 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.