Ras El Hanout
This recipe for spicy ras el hanout, from the "The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook," is a delicous accompaniment to lamb tagine with prunes.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2007
- 1 teaspoon whole or ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 piece (1 inch) galanga, optional
- 1 long pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon grains of paradise, optional
- Place allspice, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, and coriander and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, and dry-roast, shaking the pan often, until they give off an aroma, about 5 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mortar or spice grinder, and grind to a powder. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.