Roasted Cauliflower and Manchego Hand Pies
Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 1 small head cauliflower, florets separated and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Cheese Short Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/282799/cheese-short-crust)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 5 ounces Manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss cauliflower with 3 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip cauliflower; roast 5 minutes more. Let cool.
- Put nuts and garlic in a food processor. With processor running, slowly add remaining 4 tablespoons oil until mixture is finely chopped. Add lemon zest and 1 teaspoon rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Process until combined.
- Roll out half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 8 rounds, 4 inches each. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Spread 2 teaspoons hazelnut mixture onto each round, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Divide cauliflower among rounds. Top with cheese and remaining teaspoon rosemary, dividing evenly; sprinkle with pepper. Whisk cream and egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush edges of dough with egg wash. Set aside.
- Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 8 rounds, 4 inches each. Cut out 8 flowers with a small flower-shaped cookie cutter from scraps. Place a dough round on top of each pie; gently press edges with a fork to seal. Brush crusts with egg wash; place a flower on each pie. Brush flowers with egg wash. Refrigerate until cold, about 20 minutes. Bake until crust is golden brown, 30 to 32 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.