Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich with Mushroom Gravy
This satisfying sandwich can be made with the recipe for Roast Turkey Breast and Gravy or with your own turkey and gravy leftovers.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 pound mixed domestic and wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, or cremini, trimmed and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 1/2 cups gravy
- 4 thick-cut slices white sandwich bread, such as pain de mie (Pullman)
- 3 pounds <u>Roast Turkey Breast and Gravy</u>, (1/2 recipe)
- 1 small bunch watercress
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and thyme; cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute until they release liquid and are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add Madeira, raise heat to high, and saute until liquid is cooked away, 3 to 5 minutes. Add gravy; cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Meanwhile, slice turkey into about 1/4-inch-thick slices, and add to the gravy. Heat until turkey is hot, about 1 minute. Toast bread under the broiler on both sides until golden but still soft.
- Place toast on serving plates, spoon 1 or 2 tablespoons gravy over toast, and scatter watercress on top. Arrange turkey over toast, and spoon mushrooms and gravy over meat. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.