Pugliese Mushroom Hodgepodge with Green Olive Crostini
Go authentic Italian with Mario Batali's spicy mushroom dish.
Martha Stewart Living Television, March 1999
- 4 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, brushed clean and broken into pieces
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, brushed clean and broken into pieces
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, brushed clean and broken into pieces
- 4 ounces yellow foot mushrooms, brushed clean and broken into pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon hot red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Mario Batali's Basic Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/254981/mario-batalis-basic-tomato-sauce)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 one-inch-thick slices Italian peasant bread
- 1 cup Green Olive Pesto (http://www.marthastewart.com/255304/green-olive-pesto)
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, combine the mushrooms, red onion, red-pepper flakes, scallions, garlic, wine, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. The mixture should be thick, like a ragu. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large, shallow serving bowl.
- Toast the bread, and smear with pesto. Stand the crostini upright at varying angles in the mushroom hodgepodge, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.