Simple Turkey Meatloaf
Emeril prepared this turkey meatloaf recipe from his new book, "Emeril 20-40-60," as part of a live cooking challenge on "The Martha Stewart Show." He also made Chicken Cordon Bleu and Southern-Style Pan-Fried Catfish.Photo credit: Steven Freeman/HarperStudio
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time About 60 minutes
- Yield Serves 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, preferably 85 percent lean/15 percent fat, or a mix of ground breast and thigh meat
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dried bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning (http://www.marthastewart.com/261674/creole-seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack positioned in center of oven.
- Place turkey in a large bowl. Add onion, bell pepper, breadcrumbs, celery, egg, 1 tablespoon ketchup, garlic, Essence, salt, and pepper. Gently mix until ingredients are well combined. Transfer turkey mixture to a 1-pound loaf pan; form into a domed loaf shape.
- Place remaining ketchup in a small bowl; stir in hot sauce. Spoon ketchup mixture evenly over meatloaf, spreading with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until meatloaf is browned on top, cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.