Spicy Citrus Caramel Chicken Wings
This recipe for spicy citrus caramel chicken wings is courtesy of Martha's personal chef, Pierre Schaedelin.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008
- 3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and cut at the joint, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 blood oranges
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken together with olive oil, salt, and half of the lime and lemon zests. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until golden brown, draining fat and shaking pan occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, slice the top and bottom of oranges with a paring knife. Set one of the flat sides on your work surface. From top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. Trim off any remaining pith. Holding the oranges over a bowl, cut along both sides of each segment, staying close to the membrane, to release. Chop oranges and place in a fine mesh sieve in a bowl, to drain, pressing down on oranges to release juice as necessary; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat sugar and 1 teaspoon water over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally and brushing down the sides of the saucepan with a damp pastry brush, until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil. Cook until mixture becomes golden amber in color; remove from heat and add orange juice. Return mixture to heat and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in corn syrup and continue cooking until thickened, about 1 minute more. Add orange pieces and cook until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick, about 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Pour over citrus glaze and toss to coat. Stir in remaining lime and lemon zest, ginger, Sriracha, and cayenne pepper; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.