Martha Stewart Living, January 2007
Yield Makes about 1 3/4 cups
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups milk (2 1/2 cups for espresso variation)
- 1 cup espresso beans (for the espresso variation)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons strained boysenberry or lingonberry preserves
- Whisk together 1/4 cup sugar, the egg yolks, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in cornstarch, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Bring milk, espresso beans if using, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk a little milk mixture into egg yolk mixture; whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture. Return mixture to pan, and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Refrigerate pastry cream until cold, at least 1 hour (up to 3 days); beat until smooth before using.
- Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Whisk half the whipped cream into pastry cream, then fold in remaining heavy cream. Stir in preserves if using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.