Pear, Pistachio, and Ginger Blondies
These familiar bar cookies are made merrier with the spice of candied ginger, the sweetness of dried pear, and the crunch of pistachios.
Holiday Cookies 2005, Special Issue Holiday 2005
- Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 9 tablespoons (1 1/8 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried pears (4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped (3 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped candied ginger (1 1/4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan or a round cake pan. Line with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter parchment; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a
medium bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture until combined. Mix in pears, pistachios,
and candied ginger.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Lift blondie out of pan; transfer to a wire rack. Let
cool completely; cut into wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.