Sauteed Spinach with Garlic and Lemon
Spinach loses about three-quarters of its volume when cooked, so be mindful of the quantity called for in recipes, even if it seems like a lot.
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 to 4 bunches (2 1/2 pounds total) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed and cleaned, with some water still clinging
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove garlic and discard.
- Raise heat to high. Add spinach to skillet gradually, waiting for one batch to wilt before adding the next. Cook, tossing, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain liquid from skillet; add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.