Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
Everyday Food, April 2004
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 8
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- Coarse salt
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions, season with coarse salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine potatoes, garlic, and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; add salt. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt. Mash until smooth, adding reserved liquid as needed. Stir in onions, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.