Serve this moist, molasses-rich gingerbread with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Makes 1 cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square pan. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, ginger, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cloves.
- Melt the butter in the water in a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan. With a spoon, drizzle half the chocolate over the batter. Pour remaining batter on top, and drizzle the remaining chocolate over the batter in a decorative pattern.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water or in a
microwave. A squeeze
bottle is an easy way to drizzle
chocolate over the cake batter.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.