Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You can vary this recipe by adding sliced red onion, sliced tomato, ham, cooked bacon, mustard, or chutney.
Everyday Food, March 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 2
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 slices white sandwich bread or other bread
- 4 ounces grated (1 cup) or thinly sliced cheddar, Swiss, or Monterey Jack cheese
- With a butter knife, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place 2 slices, buttered side down, on work surface. Divide cheese evenly on both slices. Top with remaining slices, buttered side up.
- Heat a large skillet over low heat until warm. Add sandwiches and cover; cook, turning once with a spatula, until the bread is golden-brown and the cheese has just melted, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Slice and serve immediately.
To soften cold butter, cut into small pieces and place in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high in 5-second intervals until soft to the touch, but not melted.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.