Veal Scaloppine with Ruby Red Grapefruit
Pounding veal results in a tender meat that cooks up
in minutes. Grapefruit brightens the rich butter sauce.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruits
- 8 veal cutlets (about 2 ounces each), thinly pounded
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Cut peel and pith from grapefruit. Slice fruit along membranes to release segments into a medium bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into a small bowl; discard membranes.
- Pat veal dry with paper towels; season with 1 teaspoon
salt and some pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, and
heat until just starting to brown. Cook 4 cutlets until golden
brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a platter; cover
to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon
butter, and remaining cutlets.
- Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter to pan. Cook, scraping
brown bits with a wooden spoon, until deep golden brown.
Reduce heat to low. Swirl in reserved grapefruit juice. Season
with salt and pepper. Return veal to pan to heat through. Add
grapefruit segments. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with chives.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.