Basic Potato Salad
Combining the potatoes with the vinegar mixture while they're still hot allows them to absorb it all for a more flavorful salad.
Learn more tips for perfecting your potato salad: How-to with Allie.
Source: Everyday Food, June 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- Serves 8
- 3 pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon gold or new), scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup white-wine vinegar
- 4 scallions, white part minced, green part thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- Set a steamer basket in a Dutch oven (or large pot with a lid), and add enough salted water to come just below basket; bring to a boil.
- Place potatoes in basket, cover pot, and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Steam potatoes, gently tossing occasionally, until tender, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine vinegar, scallion whites, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add hot potatoes to vinegar mixture; toss to combine. Cool to room temperature, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Add mayonnaise and scallion greens to cooled potatoes; mix gently to combine. Serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.