Smoked Trout and Garlic Cream on Rye Toasts
A few store-bought ingredients turn these toasts into an appetizer. Smoked trout and chopped cornichons perch atop a layer of garlic cream. Serve the appetizers with Amaretto-Bourbon Punch.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield Makes 3 dozen
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 9 slices rye bread
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces smoked trout, flaked into small pieces
- 18 to 20 cornichons, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut 1/2 inch off the top of garlic to expose the cloves, and transfer bulb to a piece of parchment-lined foil. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap, and bake until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Unwrap, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut 36 rounds of bread using a 1 3/4-inch cookie cutter. Transfer to a baking sheet. Bake until golden around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Squeeze garlic into a food processor. Blend until almost smooth. Add cream, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic cream onto each toast, and top with trout and cornichons. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.