Enjoy a classic Italian dish at home with this recipe for chicken cacciatore, a comforting hunter-style stew.
Also Try: Lemony Kale Salad, Creamy Polenta with Parmesan
The Martha Stewart Show, September 2010
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup store-bought low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place bell pepper directly over the flame of a gas-stove burner on high heat or on a grill. Roast peppers, turning with tongs, until blackened all over. (Alternatively, broil peppers on a baking sheet, turning, until skin has charred.) Transfer peppers to a large bowl and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Set aside to steam, about 15 minutes. Peel peppers; discard skins. Remove stems, seeds, and ribs, and cut each pepper lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips; set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large plate or baking sheet; set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to Dutch oven and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes; add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour until well combined. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, roasted pepper strips, and olives.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven; transfer to oven. Cook chicken in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in capers, vinegar, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.