Although this dish is traditionally served with a side of pasta, a crisp salad dressed with oil, vinegar, and herbs is also a nice accompaniment. This chicken also makes wonderful leftovers. Reheat it for 10 minutes; try it in a sandwich with a little extra sauce on the side.
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 chicken cutlets (about 1 1/2 pounds total), or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce or Easy Chunky Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/281588/easy-chunky-tomato-sauce)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh, cut into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Heat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl. Season both sides of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in the beaten egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 10-by-15-inch baking dish. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 4 chicken cutlets in skillet; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Using a spatula, transfer browned cutlets to baking dish, placing them on top of sauce. Repeat with remaining oil and cutlets.
- Top each cutlet with a slice of mozzarella. Broil about 4 inches from heat source until sauce is hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.