Before you start cutting, peel jicama with a vegetable peeler, then halve from top to bottom (a serrated knife works best). To julienne, slice jicama halves 1/8 inch thick; lay slices flat and cut into 1/8-inch-thick sticks.
Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- 1 1/2 pounds jicama (1 medium), julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 to 2 limes)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, place jicama, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper; toss gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate, up to 6 hours.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.