Chocolate Pecan Pie
We've made this beloved Southern dessert even more tempting by adding dark chocolate. The pie filling puffs up during baking but settles as it cools.
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Yield Serves 10
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe Basic Pie Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/283369/basic-pie-crust), rolled and fit into a 9-inch pie plate
- 1 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in lowest position. In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes (or melt chocolate in microwave). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together (do not whisk) eggs, corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stirring constantly, gradually add melted chocolate. Pour filling into prepared crust; place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange pecans in one even layer over filling.
- Bake just until set (filling should jiggle slightly when pie plate is tapped), 50 to 60 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool completely on a wire rack, at least 4 hours (or up to overnight) before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.