Buy two whole chickens; use the leg quarters for dinner tonight and save the breast portions to make a Chicken Salad with Lemon-Yogurt Dressing tomorrow.
Everyday Food, November 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 cut-up whole chickens (2 1/2 pounds each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced pickled jalapenos
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove skin from thighs and drumsticks; reserve breasts for chicken salad (see above). Season thighs, drumsticks, and wings with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Saute chicken in two batches until golden, 5 to 7 minutes per batch, transferring
each batch to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Wipe skillet clean; add pineapple juice, ginger, and
jalapeno. Cook over medium heat until syrupy
and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken. Add scallions; toss to coat. Serve with white rice, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.