Bring this vegetable-bin staple front and center in this creamy gratin -- you'll be surprised with the results.
Everyday Food, March 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 pound celery (8 to 10 large stalks), peeled and thinly sliced crosswise (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix celery, 1/2 cup Parmesan, cream, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Divide evenly among four 6-ounce ramekins, packing mixture in firmly. Place ramekins on baking sheet, and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until celery is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into large pieces, and pulse in food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, and drizzle with olive oil; pulse just until crumbs are coated with oil, 4 to 6 times.
- Remove aluminum foil from ramekins. Dividing evenly, sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over celery. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.