Martha Stewart Living, February 2005
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 lemon, halved (2 to 3 lemons total)
- 2 cup sugar
- 3 golden apples, such as Golden Delicious
- 2 red apples, such as Gala, McIntosh, or Red Delicious
- Bring 4 cups water, the lemon juice, and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; cover. Cut a round of parchment paper that has a diameter 1 inch greater than that of pan; set aside.
- Core apples. Peel golden ones; using 1 lemon half, rub flesh. Squeeze juice from remaining half into hollows of red apples.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut all apples crosswise into thin (less than 1/8 inch) slices. Transfer to syrup; shake pan to coat slices. Place parchment directly onto surface of apple mixture. Let syrup cool completely, about 40 minutes.
- Cut slices into semicircles. Stack 1 red apple slice on top of 1 golden slice, with cut edges nearest you. Wrap slices together into a cone shape to form a
- Stack two more slices. Placing them slightly above base (to create a staggered appearance), wrap them around bud. Repeat, wrapping until rose is about 2 inches in diameter. Make 9 roses total. Reserve leftover peeled slices for garnish.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.