Miss Muffet's Lemon Curd
This creamy lemon mixture would have had Little Miss Muffet sitting on her tuffet eating her curd away.
Photography: Tara Donne
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield Makes about 2 cups
- 4 large egg yolks, plus 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 4 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- Whisk egg yolks, egg, sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly, until pale and thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Whisk in butter. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Whisk heavy cream with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into lemon curd. Use immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.