The pancakes can be prepared up to 3 hours ahead; reheat them on a baking sheet in a 400-degree oven.
Everyday Food, December 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Sour cream and applesauce
- Coarsely grate potatoes and onion into a colander in the sink. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl; mix in egg, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 1/4-cup mounds of potato mixture into the skillet; press lightly with a spatula to flatten. Cook pancakes until golden, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with sour cream and applesauce, as desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.