We like to pretend the super-healthy blueberries counteract the sugar in this delectable tart.
Everyday Food, July/August 2005
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 10
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Filling
- 6 cups (six 1/2-pint containers) fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter; process until large moist crumbs form (dough should hold together when squeezed).
- Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom; with floured fingers, press evenly into bottom and up sides. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes; prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, reserve 1 cup of the prettiest berries for topping. In a medium saucepan, bring 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 cups berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; stir into berries in pan. Add lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring, just until mixture begins to thicken, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups fresh berries. Immediately pour hot berry mixture into cooled tart shell, and smooth with a spatula.
- Scatter reserved berries on top, pressing down lightly to help them adhere. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes and up to overnight.
For perfect edges, fit the dough into the pan with your fingers. Holding a floured dry-measure cup with one hand, press dough firmly against the side of the pan, pushing down top of crust with thumb of other hand to level flush with the rim.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.