Everyday Food, December 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 6 hours 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 piece fresh ginger (about 2 inches long), peeled and cut into thin strips
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (1 cup packed)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 1/2 cup scallions, vinegar, coriander, and pepper. Add chicken and carrots; toss to coat. Cover, and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 6 hours. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard any fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Ladle 1 cup cooking liquid into measuring cup; whisk to combine. Pour into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. With slow cooker turned off, stir in cornstarch mixture. Serve chicken with white rice, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and remaining 1/2 cup scallions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.