Everyday Food, November 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- Serves 10
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds homemade or store-bought cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes (10 to 12 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees with rack in center. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, maple syrup, and salt. Stir in cornbread; let sit, tossing occasionally, until bread has absorbed liquid, about 5 minutes (bread will break down into small pieces).
- Pour mixture into an 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish; flatten and smooth top with a spoon or flexible spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of pudding comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve with more maple syrup (and ice cream or heavy cream, if desired) on top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.