Italian Pot Roast
It takes only 15 minutes of prep to assemble this hearty, homey dish; let your slow-cooker do the rest.
Everyday Food, December 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 6 hours, 15 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can whole tomatoes in puree (28 ounces)
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried and crumbled)
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 pounds small white potatoes, scrubbed
- With a sharp paring knife, cut 4 slits in beef roast; stuff slits with half the garlic. Generously season beef with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook beef until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, onion, potatoes, tomatoes (with puree), rosemary, and remaining garlic. Cover; cook on high setting until meat is fork-tender, about 6 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
- Transfer meat to a cutting board; thinly slice, and discard any gristle. Skim fat from top of sauce. To serve, divide beef and vegetables among bowls; generously spoon sauce over top.
To make in the oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow step 1 of the recipe, cooking beef (on the stove, as directed) in a large ovenproof pot. Add remaining ingredients. Cover; transfer to oven. Cook until meat is fork-tender, about 3 hours. Proceed with step 3.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.