- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) chickpeas
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini, well stirred
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving (optional)
- Paprika, for serving (optional)
- Reserving 1/4 cup liquid from can, drain chickpeas in a colander. Rinse chickpeas well under cold water; shake off excess water.
- Process chickpeas and reserved liquid, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cayenne, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt in a food processor.
- Transfer mixture to a serving dish. If desired, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with paprika.
This can be refrigerated, covered, up to one week. Use it in sandwiches or as a dip for vegetables and toasted pita bread.