Humpty Dumpty Custard Cups
Cracked eggs are put together again within these cups of smooth, cheesy custard.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2011
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
- Yield Serves 16
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 5 large egg yolks, plus 1 large egg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Boiling water, for baking dish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in a medium saucepan
over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt until smooth. Cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, and add cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk together egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl. Bring cream to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk hot cream into eggs. Whisk cream mixture into cheese mixture.
- Divide custard evenly (about 1/4 cup each) among 16 eggcups or small ramekins. Place cups in a large baking dish or roasting pan. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of cups. Bake until set, about 25 minutes. Remove from water bath, and let cool. Garnish with crisped prosciutto.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.