- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 wide strips lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 wide strips orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a medium pot, combine chickpeas, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, garlic, oregano, and red-pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is tender, 20 minutes. Season to taste with
salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To store, let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 3 days.