Tomato-Jalapeno Enchilada Sauce
Simple cheese enchiladas are the perfect vehicle to show off a mouthwatering sauce. Try this sauce on our Cheese Enchilada Casserole for classic bold flavor.
Everyday Food, March 2011
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 jalapeno, quartered (seeded if desired)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. In a medium pot, heat oil over high until shimmering. Add tomato mixture and simmer, stirring, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in thyme, vinegar, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 4 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.