- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno, quartered (seeded if desired)
- 1 cup water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook tomatillos until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain tomatillos and transfer to a blender; add onion, clove, jalapeno, and water. Puree until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids: Remove cap from lid and cover opening with a dish towel.) Season with salt and pepper. In pot, heat oil over high until shimmering. Add tomatillo mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, vinegar, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 day.