Grilled Steak and Onion Sandwich
Turn the makings of this Grilled Steak and Onion Salad into a masterful sandwich.
Everyday Food, March 2011
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 8 slices crusty bread
- Parmesan shavings
- In a large baking dish, whisk together mustard, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add steak and turn to coat; let sit 15 minutes at room temperature. Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Drizzle onion with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill steak and onions until steak is medium-rare and onions are tender,
5 to 7 minutes, flipping once. Let steak rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process onions until finely chopped, then mix with 1/2 teaspoon vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread onion mixture on 4 slices bread. Top with steak, arugula, Parmesan, and 4 more slices bread.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.