- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) solid white tuna packed in oil, drained and broken into chunks
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, halved
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved (roasted if desired, see below)
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans until bright green and tender, 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, shallot, and oil and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tuna with half the vinaigrette and stir gently to combine.
- Divide lettuce among four bowls. Top with tuna mixture, green beans, eggs, tomatoes, and olives; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
Flavor upgrade: Drizzle 6 halved plum tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake, cut side up, at 300 degrees until juices release and tomatoes shrivel slightly, 1 1/2 hours.