Rigatoni with Chunky Vegetable Sauce
Cutting the vegetables into smaller pieces allows them to tuck inside the pasta tubes. Instead of rigatoni, try ziti or penne rigate.
Everyday Food, March 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 medium zucchini, diced medium
- 1/2 pound cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound rigatoni
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook until vegetables soften slightly, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato puree, season with salt and pepper, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a rapid simmer and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in oregano.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and add to sauce, tossing to combine and adding enough pasta water to create a sauce that coats pasta. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.