Garlic-Stuffed Roasted Chicken
Everyday Food, April 2010
- 3/4 cup Roasted Garlic (http://www.marthastewart.com/258586/roasted-garlic)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl, roughly mash 3/4 cup Roasted Garlic with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry. Gently slip your fingers between skin and meat of breast, thighs, and legs to loosen skin. Evenly spread mashed garlic under skin, starting with leg and thigh area and working your way back toward neck. Generously season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Tuck wing tips underneath chicken and tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or roasting pan on high. Add oil, swirl to coat skillet, then add chicken. Cook 1 minute, then transfer skillet to oven. Roast chicken until skin is deep golden brown and juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg (an instant-read thermometer should read 160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of a thigh, avoiding bone), 40 to 45 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before carving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.