- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef chuck (85 percent lean)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reserved spice mix from <u>Spicy Potatoes and Peas with Chicken</u>
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated, half of each minced and remaining thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden, 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, spice mix, cinnamon, cilantro, minced white and green scallions, and egg; season with salt. With hands, gently mix to combine and form into 16 meatballs. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Cook meatballs until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until meatballs are just cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add sliced scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water, cover, and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and season with salt and pepper. Cover, remove pan from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, and stir in almonds and sliced scallion greens. Serve meatballs and any pan juices with couscous, carrots, and lemon wedges.
To make this meal meatless, omit the beef and, in a food processor, blend 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed, with egg, then mix in remaining meatball ingredients and form into balls. Cook over medium-high until browned, then bake 10 minutes in a 400 degrees oven.