- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- 2 cups Simple Barbecue Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/281122/simple-barbecue-sauce)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle spice rub all over chicken. Reserve 1 cup barbecue sauce in a bowl for serving. Keep remaining sauce in another bowl for basting.
- Grill chicken, turning often, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes (if browning too quickly, move to cooler part of grill). During final 5 minutes of cooking, baste chicken with barbecue sauce. Serve chicken with reserved sauce.
To set up a grill with different levels of heat, place two thirds of hot coals on one side and a third on the other (the cooler part). For a gas grill, lower heat on one side.