Everyday Food, November 2001
- 1 pound (about 1 cup) fresh English peas, shelled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus 1 pinch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 ounces (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 2 cups couscous
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add shelled peas, and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to ice-water bath to stop cooking. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, carrot, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and curry powder, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water and dried cranberries. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and the cooked peas. Cover, and remove from heat; let sit for 5 minutes. Remove cover, and fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.