Fold this Mexican-style mixture into corn tortillas for Beef Tacos, or try it in our Taco Salad, on top of sweet potatoes, or as a hearty addition to stews.
Everyday Food, June 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Makes 6 cups
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions (about 3 medium onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Coarse salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, and coriander; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Season generously with salt.
Cool filling completely, then divide among
small airtight containers; freeze up to three
months. If using in the other recipes, freeze
filling in two containers, putting three cups
in each. Before using, defrost overnight
in the refrigerator (or in the microwave).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.