- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions (about 3 medium onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Coarse salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, and coriander; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Season generously with salt.
Cool filling completely, then divide among
small airtight containers; freeze up to three
months. If using in the other recipes, freeze
filling in two containers, putting three cups
in each. Before using, defrost overnight
in the refrigerator (or in the microwave).