- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the thyme; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
Sauce can be frozen for up to 2 months.
To make a meat sauce, use 1 pound
cooked ground meat, such as beef,
sausage, turkey, or pork, and add to
sauce along with the tomatoes.