Stewed Collard Greens
To trim collard greens, fold leaves in half lengthwise (at the stem). With a paring knife, slice away the stem and discard.
Everyday Food, January/February 2005
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 pounds collard greens, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- Bring chicken broth and pepper flakes to a boil in a large saucepan. Add collard greens; reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Season with salt. Serve greens with liquid spooned over the top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.