Vanilla Custard Sauce
This recipe for vanilla custard sauce is from Emily Luchetti's "Classic Stars Desserts."
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2007
Yield Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 piece (1 inch long) vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt until well combined.
- Pour milk into a heavy-bottomed, nonreactive saucepan. If using the vanilla bean, scrape seeds from pod halves into the milk using the tip of a knife. Add pod halves. Place over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until slightly thickened and coats the back of the spatula, about 5 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl and set bowl in ice water bath. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla extract, if using.
- Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into another bowl, cover, and refrigerate until serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.