Emeril's Nutty Granola Bars
“These power-packed treats are easy to prepare, fun to eat, and full of protein and whole grains for keeping the family healthy and strong.” –Emeril Lagasse
Everyday Food, March 2011
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes plus cooling
- Yield Serves 16
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/3 cups slivered almonds (6 ounces)
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter or other nut butter
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup honey and butter over low. Cook, stirring, until butter melts, 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, and pinch of salt. Drizzle honey mixture over oat mixture and stir to combine; wipe saucepan clean. Spread mixture evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool completely on sheet, 10 minutes. Return to large bowl and add raisins; stir to combine.
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish. In saucepan, combine 1/2 cup honey, almond butter, and brown sugar over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil and sugar dissolves, 10 minutes. Drizzle over oat mixture and stir until combined; transfer to baking dish. With a spatula, firmly press granola into dish. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour, then cut into 16 bars or squares.
Feel free to substitute your favorite nuts and dried fruits to suit your family's taste buds.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.